Saturday, May 8, 2010

Finding Inspiration

I received at my door a wonderful surprise on Thursday. My husband ordered 15 tulips and a vase to be delivered to me. I love flowers, and tulips are one of my very favorites. In fact, I really wanted to have them in my wedding nearly 13 years ago, but the florist discouraged me that they would not survive well in a hot August wedding. My 6 year old used to call them "kiss-lips". You know, last year, before he was a kindergartener and was so wise. I love those little mispronunciations and slip ups kids make. So cute. Anywho, when they arrived, 3 days before Mother's Day, "Big E" got all concerned. "Oh no, Daddy's not going to be happy." He had this distraught look on his face. "They were supposed to be a surprise on Mother's Day!" I tried to explain to him that ProFlowers (shout out to them for sending beautiful fresh flowers!) couldn't deliver them on Sunday. And it is okay to get your Mother's Day gift early. And I'm sure Daddy knew they would arrive before Sunday. I had to dial the phone and let him tell Daddy so he could see that it was all ok. I've been enjoying having these beautiful colors gracing my table.





Well, I went to check the mail yesterday, and lo and behold there was another ProFlowers box on my step. Huh? Some one else sent me flowers, too? But who? I opened the box, and there lay 15 more beautiful tulips, and the exact same message card that came with the previous delivery. We checked with ProFlowers and apparently, they made a mistake on their end, and only have record of one order and shipment. So, I got a second set of tulips for free. Rarely do you get more than you paid for, so as the customer service rep said, I'm just going to enjoy my table full of tulips!





I took some pictures of my lovely blooms because I just love the colors. As I was loading them on my computer, I realized they could be just the inspiration I need. I just finished last weekend with a painting project in our bathroom. I painted all the woodwork white and the walls gray. Soon, the old vanity and medicine cabinet will get a facelift with a coat of black paint and satin nickel hardware. For some reason, I've been stumped as far as what to do with the window and the shower curtain, and rugs and the blank wall. Looking at these pictures I think I saw my inspiration. If I take some of these pictures and blow them up, I could make a collage of them on my wall. I could use the colors of the stems and the blooms in my room. Imagine how beautiful and bright that will make the room, which previously had natural wood trim and cabin red walls, and was very dark. What do you think? Good idea or bad?









I saw a similar idea at Target recently, one large piece of art stretched over a wooden box. It was $20. I wonder if I can create my own look for less. And have a personal touch, always being able to remember when I walk into my bathroom of the 5 men in my life who love me and whom I love dearly, and for whom I'm thankful to have the privilege of being the woman in their life. Even if it costs the same, it would make every dollar matter. I like that idea!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea! And it incorporates both of my accent color suggestions too! Bright green & yellow! :) What a blessing to get 2 deliveries. Neat!

    ReplyDelete