Sunday, July 11, 2010

Finishing What I've Started

Well, I picked up a project today that I started a while ago.  I have a tendency to be good at starting things, but run out of time, motivation and energy.  I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't gotten very far on this quilt I committed to make.  I bought the material, figured out a pattern, and cut the squares out.  But, it got stalled there.  Maybe because I've been busy, maybe because it's been almost 25 years since I last made a quilt (yes, I was just a kid!) and I was apprehensive about getting started, or maybe it's because I tend to want perfection out of myself  and sometimes procrastinate rather than finishing and being disappointed with the results because I am not perfect at anything (not a good character trait, I know!).  Maybe it's a little bit of each.

But this is for a great cause, so I determined to get moving again on it today.  I made progress!  All the squares are sewn together, so I have the face of my quilt now in one piece!  I'm putting this on my blog for accountability reasons.  See, if I put it on here, I'll have to stay on top of it and finish it.  :-)

And it isn't perfect.  Not all of the corners meet perfectly.  But character is okay for a quilt, right?




While piecing it together, I tried to envision the little Ugandan girl who will one day snuggle underneath this quilt when it is finished and sent off to an orphanage.  My husband's cousin, Amy, has started working on making quilts for orphans in Uganda, and I'm so glad to have the privilege of helping by making this quilt.

And then I was thinking, blankets are something my boys have plenty of, and I'm sure take for granted; but, to these children, something as simple and everyday as a quilt matters. 
So that's how I made my moments matter today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Becca, this just made my day! The quilt is beautiful!!! You are so sweet! Thank you so much for supporting my project :)

    ReplyDelete