Monday, July 26, 2010

Take a Lesson From My Boy

I know I'm a tad bit partial, but I think my first born is amazing!  And I think we all can learn a lesson or two from him today.

Today, I had the rare experience of clothes shopping with all my boys.  It is something I generally don't do, because well, if you have ever tried shopping with 4 active little boys you can imagine why.  :-)

Next week, my husband and I will celebrate our anniversary.  After 13 years of marriage, and getting ready to turn 34, I decided to branch out a bit, and I bought an outfit (awesome clearance sales!) that is something my husband probably would never think I'd wear.  But at this point, I think it's ok to be daring, right?  (Don't worry...it's modest, just not my normal style.)  Evan wanted to know why I was looking for clothes.  I told him I wanted to look beautiful for Daddy on our date.  As sincere as his little heart could be, he said, "You don't need to buy new clothes to make you beautiful, you're beautiful just the way you are!"

I told my husband about it at supper and he congratulated Evan on always coming up with the right thing to say, and said, "I think I need to take lessons from you, Evan!"  Evan grinned from ear to ear.  I told him to remember to say these things to his wife someday!



And I'm about bursting with pride because my first born has also pretty well mastered riding a bike today.  We worked on it some off and on in recent months, but he really hadn't gotten it down so that he could stay on the bike for any length of time or get himself started.  This afternoon, we had a brief period of time after we got back from a road trip and before we had to take my mom to an appointment.  Instead of rushing inside to try to use that time to do laundry and all the other things I hadn't gotten done while being gone all day, I moved the van and let the boys ride their bikes and have some fun.  Evan was trying and getting frustrated and wanted to quit.  I told him I wasn't going to let him quit, that he'd get it if he just tried and tried and tried.  Within minutes he was doing so much better.  After supper he took his Dad outside to show him what he could do, and it was like a whole different child on that bike.  He can get on, get started by himself,  keep his balance, and even make turns around the driveway!  I'm so proud of him, and he is so proud of himself.  Mastering a difficult challenge is so rewarding, even for a child.

That gets me to thinking, how often am I like he was this afternoon, facing a difficult task or situation and just wanting to quit.  Too often, I'm afraid.  But watching him today make so much progress in such a short amount of time, was an encouragement to me.  Don't be a quitter.  Finish what you start.  Persevere despite challenges.  Look past obstacles.  And ignore that voice that says, "Quit!"





How did I make my moments matter today?  I spent just a few of them helping my son learn to ride a bike....mostly instilling my confidence in him into him.  Once he knew that I knew that he could do it, and once he knew I wasn't going to sit by and watch him quit, he was determined to keep trying.  We all have that too, don't we?  Even if no one on earth thinks I can do the task, I have a Father in heaven who has all confidence in me....not because I'm so great....but because His strength can do it through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment