Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Twice Baked

I've decided to try to do twice baked meals, as I call them, frequently to save money and time, and also because I'm not a fan of just having leftovers.  This isn't rocket science, but not something I have really planned out in the past.  Last night I made 2 batches of meatloaf, baby carrots, and a large batch of mashed potatoes.  Meatloaf is one of the boys' favs.  (It's not something I thought kids are supposed to like, but they actually complain that I don't make enough!) 

After the 2nd batch cooled down, I put it in the frig.  Then, tonight I pulled it out, and popped it in the oven to warm it back up.  I took out the left over mashed potatoes, mixed some shredded cheese and sour cream into them, and popped them into the oven.  While they were warming, I made some gravy, and toasted some whole grain bread. 

We topped the bread with slices of the meatloaf and poured gravy over, making our own open faced meatloaf sandwiches.  Yum!  The twice baked mashed potatoes were delicious and creamy, and it all made for a good meal on such a cold wintry night.  Best of all, I spent very little time in the kitchen tonight, but had a tummy pleasing, comfort food meal to share with my family.

I'm looking forward to coming up with more twice baked meal ideas my guys will enjoy.  Trying to make the most of every minute and every dollar!  Got any twice baked meals you enjoy?  Do share!

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Becca. I'll try these meatloaf & mashed potatoes ideas. I do quite a bit of twice bakes stuff and my mom was always creative about it, too. We always had Spaghetti pie a day or 2 after having spaghetti (Mix an egg & oregano or basil in with the leftover pasta) grease a pie pan & press the pasta in the bottom. Then fill the pasta shell with a thin layer of cottage cheese mixed with spices & and egg & shredded cheese. Cover almost to the edges with the sauces (meatball chopped up in it). Sprinkle with mozzerella cheese & Bake until hot throughout & cheese is melted. Serve with extra sauce if it seems dry. With chicken I often cook a few extra pieces and create chicken salad (on croissants) the next day, or put the extra chicken (chopped) in a pot with cream of mushroom or chicken soup, add frozen vegetables & chopped onion & sage and then top with prepared stove top stuffing (that is a favorite here).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ideas, Dee. I've done spaghetti pie before but never from leftovers. That's a great idea. I love doing the chicken salad thing....my fav sandwich. I need to do that again soon. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete