Monday, May 16, 2011

You Can't Convince Me

We received Evan's CAT scores already today.  He scored better than 99% of 1st graders!  In fact, he performed as well as the average 4th grader!

Much of that is his own natural abilities, but I'm convinced he's fulfilling his full potential because of homeschooling.  I'm not a homeschooling fanatic, by any means....but I definitely do see that it has benefits and am assured we made a wise decision for this part of his education.  Even more than those great scores, I am assured by the character traits that I see growing up in him, his love for God and His Word, and his view of the world that is being shaped by his growing knowledge of God. 

Our decision to homeschool has been encouraged by some, not understood by others, and criticized by some.  And though you wish all people would see your decision favorably, we didn't make it to be popular with other people.  (In fact, I was one of those people, only a few years ago that said I will never homeschool!)  We made this decision based on what God was convincing us was best for our family at this time. 

You can't convince me that homeschooling is detrimental.  It may not be for everyone, it may not be for you.  It may not always be for us.  But, it is good.  It has been very good for my son.  I look forward to seeing what it will produce in my twin boys as they start this fall. 

If you are considering homeschooling, let this encourage you.  It is NOT detrimental, as many will try to claim.  If God is truly leading you to do it, it can be more than "not detrimental", it can be excellent. 


Evan with a science experiment, growing a sweet potato vine.

Kudos to my student for his hard work and determination.  I loved the big smile that came across his face when I showed the results to him and praised him for his good work.  Whatever you do, do it with all your heart, as to the Lord.  (Colossians 3:23)  That's my hope and prayer for Evan, wherever he is being schooled.  Not that he is always in the 99th percentile, but that he always does his best, because he's doing it for God, Who is not impressed with percentages and numbers, but Who is pleased when we do all that we do for His glory. (Colossians 3:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment